Warren,

Most people are probably smart enough not to respond to this... so I will take the plunge for all of them :)

Autotooling xrandr might not have been too hard, for one platform and one version of the autotools.

However, autotooling X as a whole might be a much larger job than you are thinking of. For example, the current system supports cross compiling quite well, which you would have to be careful not to break in autotool scripts (again, on all supported platforms). For another example, X can be built on Cygwin and OS/2, both of which has strange handling of executable extentions and lots of special linker magic to make things work.

Currently all of this magic is contained explicitly and implicitly in Imakefiles. It might be easy for you to autotool what is explicity mentioned in the Imakefiles, but it will be a very large job to autotool all of the implicit things going on behind the scenes. In other words, you can't just look at a given Imakefile and autotool it... you have to grok all of the *.cf files for the various supported platforms to understand what different combinations of flags are supposed to do.

If you have thought of all of this and are still interested, then best of luck. However, I wouldn't expect a lot of interest from others, as this gets mentioned every so often but the person suggesting it often gives up after they realize how large of a job it is. Thus, a lot of people are probably going to assume that you will give up as others before you have.

Harold

Warren Turkal wrote:

As an excercise, I autotooled xrandr. It was easy for xrandr, and I expect
it would be easy for a number of other small utility programs in the X
distribution. The source for this experiment is located at
http://ss.kicks-ass.org/~wt/development/xfree86-autotool/xrandr/. Are there
any efforts to autotool X as a whole?

If so, who do I contact?

If not, I would like to start an effort if there is any interest upstream
acceptance. It would definitely allow for an easier way to modularize the X
source.

Warren Turkal