On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Alex Deucher wrote:

>Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 06:38:24 -0800 (PST)
>From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: "nv" driver obscurities...
>
>Sorry I haven't looked at the glint driver in a while.  I was just
>trying to make a point that lots of drivers out there use hex rather
>than symbolic names.  I seemed to recall glint as being one of them,
>but I guess I was wrong.

That doesn't make it "good practice".  Symbolic names let people
know what things are for, or provide clues at least.  They also
help to avoid many typo related problems.  For example someone
mistakenly saying 0x35c somewhere would much more easily go
unnoticed than a symbolic name.  That's why we have structured
programming constructs such as macros to begin with - to make
programming more readable and easier to understand.

But obviously the point I'm trying to make is a debateable one,
and I'm not going to change my mind on my thoughts regarding
symbolic names, and I expect you and others aren't going to throw
away years of programming and change your opinions either.  We
both now know what each other's opinions on the topic is, and
that none of us are going to convince the other to change their
opinion or their coding practices, so further discussion/debate
is probably not useful as far as development is concerned.  Let's
just respectfully agree to disagree with each other on coding
practice, and move on without further discussion.

Thanks.

Respectfully yours,
TTYL

--