David Dawes wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:35:33PM -0500, William M. Quarles wrote:
> >Why are you disbanded?  And does this mean that there will be no XFree86
> >4.4 final?
>
> I'm not sure how you came to those conclusions from what it says
> at www.xfree86.org.
>
> And yes, there will be a 4.4.0 release (and a 4.5.0 release, etc).

Here's what it says at www.xfree86.org:

<quote>
No More Core Team

[30 December 2003]

The XFree86 core team has voted to disband itself, effective 31 December
2003. The XFree86 Project and its active cutting-edge developers are all
still very much alive and residing in our development forum. Comments
about this can be made there; registration is not necessary.
</quote>

I've seen this question (or ones like it) asked several times and seen
some commentary somewhere, but, not, IIRC, from one of the (ex) core
team members, which explained (or implied) that the core team was
something of the "governing body" (or managing body??) of XFree86 and
(implied?) that disbanding of the core team was a step towards a change
in governing / managing policy.

I find the whole thing a little frustrating.  Answers to the  question
of what does it mean seem to be somewhat cryptic, and the advice to read
what it says on xfree86 seems somewhat disingenuous (sp??).

IMHO, you've been asked a simple, straightforward question.  If you
don't want to or can't answer it, say so.  If you want people to
participate in a discussion to determine what should (or could, or might
be nice to) happen after the disbanding of the core team, then say that.

Randy Kramer

(Sorry, I probably should have slept later. ;-)