On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Darrell May wrote:

> I'm very concerned about this new proprietary part of SMESV5.  As Kim has
> stated Mitel is going to be protecting their IP property.  This implies
> one can not continue to contribute as freely as we have done before.

Not true.

For any software derived from GPL code, you are free to contribute as
before, and you, Mitel and every third party is bound to comply with the
GPL's license conditions.

For any software which you write yourself from scratch (or for which you
acquire the rights by whatever other method), you can distribute as you
wish, and license as you wish. You can release your software under the
GPL, or you can sell it as proprietary software, or you can keep it to
yourself.

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739