Then why has the discussion been taken private? It hardly seems to be a
good way to start off, particularly when you'll want the support of the
people being excluded. Does this show what we can expect in the future?

George,

It was necessary to take organizational conversations private as everyone was running around talking about wild ideas and nothing was getting done. Please be assured that 95% of what's being discussed off-list at this time is organizational in nature (e.g., how are we going to move the lists, what bug tracking are we going to use, what's our next move, how are we going to organize the troops, do we use sourceforge or don't we, etc, etc.) There are lots of people that want stuff to do, but without some kind of organization, nothing will get done. These types of things can't be done by simply type chatting in an open forum.

Now, you may disagree with all of the above and I certainly won't take offense to it. Remember, this is a GPL project. If you or anyone else wants to spin this off another direction. Please feel free to do so at any time. I can honestly say that it is no small undertaking to establish a venue for a GPL community of this type. I think many would be very surprised at the number of hours that several individuals are donating to setting up an infrastructure at contribs.org for this community.

As a final point, I will reiterate a previous comment. Devinfo is moving to contribs.org soon and will remain the primary venue for open source development dicussion of the SME Server. Talk about the future of SME really hasn't even taken place yet. Contribs is simply working to establish a place for these discussions to happen and development activities to take place.

Regards,

Greg Zartman