On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 December 2003 07:37 pm, Charlie Brady wrote:

> > > Is this is truely important, now that it appears that you have complied
> > > with releasing everything ?
> >
> > For the most part, there is nothing to "comply" with, Bob. Mitel is the
> > copyright holder to the e-smith-* packages in the SME server. The GPL does
> > not apply to Mitel for these packages, and Mitel is under no obligation to
> > release the source. When it does so, it is a gift, to you and the
> > community. The GPL attached to these packages is the license that Mitel
> > gives you.
>
> Once again, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I say thank you for
> supplying the source code.
>
> As to packages that were not forthcoming in the past, and ONLY because you
> guys can't seem  to leave my thank you lie still, ...

It was you that raised the issue, Bob.

> here's a partial list of the items that were , as of quite recently, not
> forthcoming with source;
>
> ServiceLink 6.0 - based on Mitel SME Server (GPL)

As I carefully explained to you previously, the fact that Mitel releases
its SME Server code to you under the GPL does not create any obligation
for it to release its own ServiceLink code to you. Where Mitel has used
software which is licensed to it by others, Mitel will comply with the
appropriate licenses, as has been stated previously.

> Blades:
> -- Fax Server Blade - based on mgetty+sendfax (GPL)

The mgetty and mgetty+sendfax RPMs are from RedHat. Source RPMs are
available to you on request, or you can fetch them from your local RedHat
mirror. The Blade itself is Mitel proprietary.

> -- Free/Busy Scheduling Blade - based on Mitel SME Server (GPL)

As mentioned previously, the "based on Mitel SME Server" is irrelevant.
The Free/Busy Scheduling Blade is Mitel proprietary software, and source
code will not be made available.

> -- Groupware Blade - based on Twig (GPL)

The Groupware Blade is not based on Twig, but includes Twig as one of its
components. Twig source code is available on request, or you can obtain a
slightly newer version from http://www.informationgateway.org/, or
in RPM format from http://rpmfind.net/. The other components of the
Groupware blade are Mitel proprietary.

> -- Instant Messaging Blade - based on Jabber (GPL)

The Instant Messaging Blade is not based on Jabber, but includes Jabber as
one of its components. Jabber source code is available on request, or can
be obtained from http://www.jabber.org/, or in RPM
format from http://rpmfind.net/. The other components of the Instant
Messaging Blade are Mitel proprietary.

> -- Web Access Control Blade - based on Squidguard (GPL)

The Web Access Control Blade is not based on Squidguard, but includes
Squidguard as one of its components. Squidguard source code is available
on request, or you can obtain a newer version from
http://www.squidguard.org/, or in RPM format from http://rpmfind.net/. The
other components of the Web Access Control Blade are Mitel proprietary.

> And, as I said in the previous message, there were reasons given in the past
> as to why they were not forthcoming, but I am glad that Mitel is now
> releasing this source as it should do with it being in GPL.

Bob, I'd strongly suggest that you carefully read the GPL and the FSF
commentary on the GPL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html), so that
you can better understand what the license means to us all.

Mitel Networks Corporation      http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 592 5660 or 592 2122  Fax: +1 (613) 592 1175

A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.