On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 09:43:47PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Travis Bemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I think that a good compromise would be to put up a warning page
> > where the user has to type "I do know that Micro$oft Internet
> > Explorer is an insecure piece of shit" as specified by the page into
> > a text item in a form (the $ would be mandatory) and then press a
> > button to actually use fproxy, to keep people from simply clicking
> > through without paying real serious attention to the warning. :)
>
> Your rage against MS's stance is perfectly understandable, but let's
> try a more clear minded approach. Otherwise we will lose more respect
> than we'll gain.
>
> First, it would be nice if (rather than checking the browser version)
> the bug could be tested directly. This could work: Serve "check.txt"
> declared text/plain in a small frame, non-scrolling frame. This file
> will contain a lot of linefeeds, and finally

I'd prefer for it to start immediately as HTML, in case any browser only
treats text as HTML if it sees HTML in the first n lines or n chars.
Something like
<!--
If you are seeing this, your browser is safe.

> A buggy browser will interpret the HTML, and therefore most likely the
> refresh command. Others will just show everything as text (and
> hopefully the above junk will not be in view).
Yup. There are some interfaces issues; I am planning to add a
"Protecting your anonymity" link/servlet to the nodeinfo/fproxy home
page, which includes this sort of thing. Another problem is how do we
get users already using freenet to test their browsers; and for this
reason, keeping a blacklist of bad browsers separately has to be a good
idea.

> The warning page should contain an explanation, solutions (e.g. links
> to fine browsers), and a "I don't care about anonymity" button.
> Disabling the warning should be possible in the config file, with dire
> warnings there as well.
If people want to disable the warning completely, they can go hack the
source.

> As a final thought, couldn't we just work around deficiencies like
> that? What happens if you send "text/x-really-plain" instead?
Nope. Not really.

--
Matthew Toseland
Freenet/Coldstore open source hacker.