> > >As a final thought, couldn't we just work around deficiencies like
> > >that? What happens if you send "text/x-really-plain" instead?
> > >
> > >--
> > >Robbe
> >
> > As far as I've found IE really likes HTML, unless it pop's up a file
> > download box it will try to interpret any HTML looking text in the file
i'm
> > afraid.
>
> If IE is detected, FProxy could make an HTML document with a large
<TEXTAREA>
> (say, 70 cols and 25 rows) and put the actual document in that.  Surely IE
> won't parse HTML inside a <TEXTAREA>.  Or would it?

This is just a thought, but...

If I wanted to be malicious I could simply add a </textarea> to the start of
my documents, which would let me put in other HTML elements and have them
processed in browsers that can process HTML.

I'm sure this is a silly question, but if you can manipulate the text to add
<textarea>'s, why not just run it through an HTMLEncode routine?
I don't do java but something which has functionality similar to
http://itext.sourceforge.net/docs/com/lowagie/text/html/HtmlEncoder.html

Or just replace < and > with one of these set of similar looking characters
(I think the last 2 are non-Unicode characters which can be shown in most