On 01/04/2014 06:31 AM, Alexandre Minette wrote:
> Hi everyone !
>
> Freenet is now really old compared to the majority of open-source projects
> (which is really good, especially in terms of security) but the sad part is
> that there's almost no users in it.
>
> I have some ideas I would share with you to improve the popularity of the
> platform, and I want to contribute in the project (maybe you already seen
> some of them) :
>
> - FProxy is really ugly and almost unusable for non-technical users.
>   As I understand, someone is working on a new FProxy code with modern
> templates which is really a long task.

It is.

>   An intermediate step could be to create a modern theme for FProxy with
> the current interface.

Agreed.

>   Here is an example of a theme I've created for FProxy (fully-compatible
> with the current interface, some of you might have seen it on Sone):
>
>  -
> http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/01/1388832014-screenshot-from-2014-01-04-11-39-31.png

Looks good!

>  Of course, this is only an idea and the final theme can be completely
> different.
>  I can help you with the theme creation anyway, we should talk on irc about
> it :).
>
> - The CSS filter in the Core is not supporting some features of CSS3 :
>   This is really important, because Javascript is not supported, CSS3 is
> the only thing that could bring a good user experience on a Freesite,
>   Specially some features like :
>    - animation / transition / transform / keyframes (especially because
> there is no javascript allowed).
>    - background gradient (quite the same, and this feature is removing the
> needs of a background in most cases).
>    - content (used mainly for icons).
>    - styling of HTML5 tags (the filter does not like some of them).
>   - display: box/inline-flex (less important)
>  And maybe others I did not see. (border-radius seems supported).
>
> I've seen the filter code in the core and some of them are really easy to
> implement (like display: inline-flex), I could help with that too :).

Once the theme is complete I'd be happy to add it to the official
distribution of Freenet as the default theme. Files are only subject to
filtering when downloaded, and themes are not subject to filtering while
in use, so the filter work is not necessary.

> - Why not embed the official plugins directly into the Freenet install ?
> (or download it at start), Freenet is currently requiring a lot of setup to
> work.

The installer does embed some official plugins: currently JSTUN, UPnP,
Library, KeyUtils, and ThawIndexBrowser. [0] Would you like to propose
more to include? Embedding more will make the installer larger.

> - This has been already said but a file sharing application would boost the
> popularity of the platform (but yes, It's not really easy to write...)

Agreed. There's been work on Curator for GSoC 2013, but it needs more
work and review. [1]

> - I could also help to create a good theme for Freemail & Sone (especially
> for Freemail which really needs one).

Sure, but an FProxy theme seems like a higher priority.

> Bringing more users is important for a project like Freenet because
> anonymity means "hiding in the crowd". This would be even better with more
> users.
> And with more users, you will have more contributors (like the guys behind
> cryptosphere: https://github.com/cryptosphere/cryptosphere).

That would be very cool indeed.

> Freenet is a really good piece of software anyway, congrats everyone :).

:)

Thanks!
Steve Dougherty

[0]