On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 6:27 AM, Matthew
Toseland<toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
>> > I disagree, php or java reduces performance and increases costs, for all
>> > hosting options.
>>
>> Are you serious? ?I can imagine someone making that kind of argument
>> against dynamic page generation in 1994, but not now.
>
> It happens to be true. On grounds of security, performance and cost. We get a
> lot of hits, and any cheap hosting option, including the Google app platform,
> will be much slower with .php's than with static HTML.

Well, firstly you can't use PHP on the Google App platform, it has to
be Python or Java, and I suspect in either case it will be as fast as
we could ever need it to be.

> And we don't want an expensive hosting option: we want to save money.

Crippling our website to save a few dollars per month (and that is, at
most, all it would be) is extremely short-sighted.  Google App Engine
is free up to a pretty high traffic volume AFAIK.  I think we'd
probably have a hard time finding hosting that *didn't* support some
form of dynamic page generation.

>> I don't like using Javascript for this, and I certainly don't like the
>> assumption that we are no-longer permitted to do any dynamic page
>> generation server side. ?That is crazy.
>
> We don't use it now. We haven't used it for years, all the php stuff is is
> SSIs, which
> can be compiled in advance. But please step back a bit: we are talking about
> what
> happens *when javascript is turned off*. Only paranoid geeks turn off
> javascript. If
> they have to choose their OS then that's no great hardship for them.

Except that it appears to be unreliable even with Javascript turned
on.  I experienced problems with it in Safari 4 (with Javascript most
assuredly switched on).

> Of course it is true that all plausible hosting options support php, but just
> because
> they support it doesn't mean that there is any good reason to use it on the
> homepage.

There is a reason that practically every website on the Internet uses
server-side page generation (PHP or otherwise).

Declaring that our entire website must be static is an arbitrary,
pointless, and very limiting restriction.

I'm not aware of a single other website anywhere that has opted to
limit itself to static page generation, either on the grounds of
security or cost.  This is because its a crazy argument.

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke
CEO, Uprizer Labs