On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Matthew
Toseland<toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> AFAICS no. I'm not saying we should go with a static only host, I'm saying we
> shouldn't
> make dynamic that which doesn't need to be, on grounds of CPU cost (which
> determines
> responsiveness in practice). Modern systems (even apache 2 to a reasonable
> degree)
> can serve static content ridiculously fast, that's not true of dynamic
> content.

Oh come on now, this argument is just as implausible.  Are you
seriously claiming that there will be a consequential difference in
speed (in terms of user experience) between a statically served page,
and a page that is dynamically generated in response to a simple test
of a HTTP header?

Research I've seen is that response time only has a measurable effect
if its over 100ms, and only a perceptible slowness if its over 700ms.
I can't believe that, unless we're running our web server on an Atari
800XL, that there will be any significant difference in response time
just because the page is dynamically generated.

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke
CEO, Uprizer Labs