Hi Steve

I think we are in agreement, though yours is, perhaps, more direct- my problem
with preference for wordsmithing

My consistent argument has been around the concern that within the development
community there has been a proclivity to default to "technology", soft or hard.
I really appreciate the ideas of Paulo Freire and folks in The Hunger Project.
We did not get ourselves, as humans, into the mess that we have across our
planet over night and we can not expect to work our way out of this with
alacrity. What we contribute may not be understood or appreciated until long
after we have disappeared. And, therein lies one of the problems in today's
world where we expect the dark to be dispersed with the flick of a switch.
Funding agencies need to see "results" and few can stay the course or are
willing to do so. Similarly, few humans have the commitment, especially when
they are faced with time/financial constraints and a cornacupia of options
which they can "try on", like a designer watch. The other issue has to do with
not knowing-not knowing if the "button pushed" opens the door to treasure six
levels further on in the game of life or drops the treasure into a
non-accessible tar pit.

And that is why we have modern day keepers of the flames at Delphi, Oracles
with the laptops and models rather than cast entrails, Tarot decks and
horoscopes. And that is why liberal thinking persons embraced the fascist ideal
of a benevolent dictator, Plato's philosopher kings.

It is also why we default to technology. As I have pointed out before, the EU
dumping milk on the market can destroy the livelihood of a woman who walks
miles to try to sell her milk in a local market, CBI legislation and political
pressure can allow dumped US agriculture to disrupt an "inefficient" farm
network with concomitant consequences- something no technology can reverse. A
rogue trader in the financial markets can send shudders through the entire
world, as did the greed in the recent real estate markets in the US.

I have seen families emotionally torn because they want their children to learn
but if they are in school they can't work and work means food on the table for
the entire family. OLPC?  Some folks, putting their kids to work, are
committing the ultimate sacrifice of eating their seed potatoes.

As a hard scientist, let me say that I love tech. It is a razor sharp two-edged
sword and, like the magic wand of the Sorcerer's Apprendices, has potential for
great harm in the hands of the hands of persons lacking in wisdom.

The metonymic "digital divide" represents that mythical armamentarium
equivalent to Batman's tool belt or some pharmaceutical formulary, more a mix
of paliatives and placibos to avoid having to deal with the core problems
facing humans ever since Adam bit into the apple of knowledge.

thoughts?

tom

tom abeles