From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 7:01 AM
To: The Digital Divide Network discussion group
Subject: Re: [DDN] Google Insights - social networking

> Sarah Blackmun-Eskow wrote:
> > What's the difference between a development phenomenon and an
> > economic "deal" or phenomenon?
> >
> > This is a real question, not a rhetorical one.
> > S.

Dear all:
I did not get all the mails on this topic since our mail server did not work
during a few days last week, so I hope I am not repeating what you have said
before. I agree that this is a real question.
An economic phenomenon can be almost anything related to markets, and
therefore transactions. The word "deal" refers to this transaction view.
Development, on the other hand, involves a value judgement. A development
phenomenon means that something good or desirable has taken place, and
different groups may make different value judgements as to the desirability
or goodness of a phenomenon or situation.
Reaching consensus about  whether we have witnessed an economic phenomenon
is easy.Reaching consensus about a development phenomenon may not be.
Also, development implies moving forward in a desirable direction. Learning
is also involved in development. As societies and communities learn (by
doing, by interacting, by observing)they change their judgement and values
about development. That´s how sustainable development evolved.
Keeping this difference in mind helps us help others. The values of "those
who have" are different than the values of "those who don´t have". So, who
decides what can be considered a development phenomenon towards bridging the
digital divide?
Hope this helps.
Maria Laura

Secretaria de Desarrollo Universitario