The following message is a recent pledge from the Pakistani IT
Industry and ICT for Development Communities about a recent step by
the national telecom regulatory authority - Pakistan
Telecommunications Authority PTA that bans use of VoIP and basic
services such as Skype etc. This is a blow to an booming industry of
developing country that has reached 2.8 Billion dollars in revenue,
including annual exports exceeding $1.4 billion, Pakistan is eyeing to
increase the size of this sector to over US$ 11 billion by 2011.
(Source: PSEB & WTO)

This is not the first time that PTA has done this but in a time of
global economic recession and struggling businesses, this sends out a
plea of how governments can affect the ICT growth of their own
citizens and businesses at large reducing their own economic growth.
Are there any examples out there where countries have done the same
crushed their own economic growth options?

Is it true that governments want to prevent the growth of their own
industries and benefit to the common man whereas the promise of the
Internet and ICTs was leap frogging social and economic benefit?
Kindly read through and share your thoughts.

For an update on the issue, kindly visit or join the Pakistan ICT
Policy Monitor at:
or the message thread at:

Kindly read the message below: