I wanted to share my detailed comments with the community members made
New Wave of Non-Western ICT4D Aid Donors" posted at
http://ict4dblog.wordpress.com/2008/10/17/the-new-wave-of-non-western-ict4d-aid-donors.
It can also serve as an important read for an eye into the future and
what Non-Western ICT4D Aid Donors are achieving.

My Two Cents to: "The New Wave of Non-Western ICT4D Aid Donors" @
ICT4D Blog http://ict4dblog.wordpress.com/

Based upon my experience with ICT4D Donors and the various countries I
have visited as part of my ICT4D related engagements, we have to note
that developed countries which have identified ICT and Innovation to
be the key drivers of their economies and accepted the Knowledge
Economy to be the era of competition between the developed and
developing, the newly developed countries are funding ICT4D in the
form of local social entrepreneurship and enterprise as well as
development aid because it is a core process of the ICT model they
have evolved through years of experience.

ICT Production and ICT Consumption models are more viable as economic
growth indicators when the right balance has been struck between them.
Recently I visited Korea for some good amount of time where we were
trained by the United Nations as Trainer of Trainers for the "Academy
of ICT Essentials for for Government Leaders" to help change the
mindset and raise awareness that ICTs are a key component of
Governance and that e-Government and e-Governance are the key focus of
governments like Korea where they have transitioned from a One Window
Operation E-Government to Zero Window Operation and their experience
has been highly successful.

As part of our capacity building, we gained the golden opportunity to
study and receive first hand experience of Korea's digital
infrastructure as well as electronic governance frameworks in full
action. Indeed a scarce opportunity for us ICT4D advocates,
researchers and social entrepreneurs!
Secondly, in Korea's determination to lead with ICTs and Innovation in
this century, in particular, their development organization KADO -
Korea Agency for Digital Opportunity and Promotion, South Korea
[https://www.kado.or.kr/koil/default.asp] has focused upon the
community population that is mostly left behind in developing world
countries. This community is mostly the rural and physically under
advantaged community and what KADO does is really amazing and a lesson
for all like us in Pakistan or South Asia.

You will be interested in understanding that for a developed or
developing world country to incorporate ICT4D production and
consumption models within its ODA frameworks usually occurs when they
have incorporated ICT4D as a key driver of their economic growth and
itself is utilizing the innovation in the field as a macro economic
indicator for its own social development. The co-relation with one's
own economy and the benefit of experience it has gains from its
development to be applicable to another country's social and economic
benefit are inter-related.

If we just look at what KADO is doing, as a specialized government
subsidiary devoted to providing comprehensive support for domestic and
international digital divide closure. Kado provides to the disabled,
elderly and farming and fishing villagers with easy and affordable
access to ICT services as means of elevating the quality of life of
their citizens as well as achieving balanced development of national
economy. The achievement of a balanced development of national economy
indicates both the successful evolution and adoption of ICT Production
and Consumption models for sustained social and economic development
as Human Capital equipped with locally evolved technical and
vocational skills is critical for the success of such a model.

Within the framework of its services KADO caters to achieve this through:

a. Information access environment creation
b. Skills and contents development aimed at bridging digital divide
c. International cooperation to narrow the global digital divide
d. Public IT education to upgrade people's IT literacy
e. Promotion of public awareness on the digital divide
f.  Encouragement of productive information use and prevention of
informatization adverse function
g. Research and development on the digital divide and its bridging strategy.

Reference:  [https://www.kado.or.kr/koil/files/kado-eng.pdf]

I would also like to point out here that KADO is not only equipped for
today, it has an eye into the future as well as is spreading its wings
into new transitional economies. In Nepal it is setting up the
governments first ICT Data Centre. It is training government leaders
for use of ICTs for better Governance. As a whole, since 2000 Korean
consultants, aid professionals and businesses have participated in a
number of Government Automation and E-Government Programs in the Asian
Region including the Financial Sector IT Reform Project at the State
Bank of Pakistan. More can be read about how Hyundai Information
Technology grew in Pakistan http://www.hit.co.kr/ehomepage/index.jsp
in the area of enterprise system integration and has continued to
position itself in country for other projects. This is what they gave
us http://www.hit.co.kr/ehomepage/file/support_d/whitepaper03.pdf.

You may also want to take a look at the following research that takes
a critical look at how Korea transitioned and what it had to do
evolving ICT Production and Consumption models supported by innovation
within the business sector, titled "Technology and Korea's Business
Systems in Action" written by Linsu Kim, Korea University and D.
Eleanor Westney, MIT Sloan School of Management available at
http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/athena/course/15/15.249c/KimWestney.doc
though the discussion about Korea and its progress can go on an on but
as one of my colleague occasionally mentions that Korea has a low
population density and smaller land area to cover for its ICT4D
progress. True, this is applicable to Pakistan which has a population
well over 160 million and more land to cover with four different
geographical and weather circumstances within the same region.

Now in the case of my region and the above factors, Pakistan as a
developing country has made remarkable progress in terms of an ICT
infrastructure despite its social, political, religious and economic
issues prevailing for the last six decades. It was able to develop an
IT policy and action plan nearly a decade ago focusing on enabling IT
adoption and production, an effort to strike the balance between ICT
Production and Consumption. In terms of evolving a local ICT 4D
Ecosystem, Pakistan has also acted as a donor to global ICT4D
initiatives even though the world calls these initiatives biased
http://www.dgfoundation.org/about/donors.html. In terms of its
internal ICT business development strategy
http://www.pseb.org.pk/item/strategy the government claims the
following http://www.pseb.org.pk/item/industry_overview and this is
what the CEO of the leading company in the region has to say about the
sitution:
http://www.getit.pk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50203&Itemid=36.
This is what the government says why to choose Pakistan for Global ICT
Production outsourcing http://www.pseb.org.pk/item/why_pakistan.

It can be said that Pakistan created an opportunity for international
Telecom players to come in and accommodate the deregularized telecom
ball field that evolved the Universal Service Fund
http://www.usf.org.pk detailed in this study
http://www.pakistan.gov.pk/ministries/moit/media/USFundPolicy.pdf for
which we proposed the Telecentre Movement in collaboration with the
World Bank in the region: Telecenters and Community Resource and
Information Centers in Pakistan http://www.comminit.com/en/node/222556
and a supporting technology paper through the UNDP-APDIP
http://www.apdip.net/news/apdipenote19.

This is the result of this effort we undertook as a partnership
between the Government, Private Sector and Civil Society:
http://128.121.21.25/$sitepreview/pta.gov.pk/Rural/page1.htm and
http://www.i4donline.net/news/news-details.asp?newsid=5901. This
document
http://www.pakistan.gov.pk/divisions/industriesandproduction-division/media/SectorsFile.pdf
shows how technology or innovation is influencing local ICT
consumption in the industrial process. However, the 67% agrarian
population is still yet to embrace the productive benefits of ICT and
my views as a member of the working groups for formulation of the new
National IT Policy are given here
http://ciopakistan.com/2008/09/another-it-policy-for-%20pakistan.

I would like to once again emphasize that internal national
development and achievement in social and economic development through
sustained growth in the sectors of ICT and Innovation are a key
motivation to build up other countries that a nation does business
with so that it can transfer technology in terms of both better
governance as well as business growth. The bi-product of such an
effort is definitely social empowerment even though there are vested
interests of donors in ODA.

You may also agree that UNDP has over the past few years removed the
words including ICT, e-Governance and e-Government merging them into a
single Better Governance or Good Governance word. Similarly World Bank
is slowly evolving all e-related social and economic development
activities under the umbrella of e-Development. This is clearly an
indication that what is steering ICT4D funding and its evolution or
its destination around the globe. In these circumstances I would
continue to evolve the terminology of Technology and Innovation for
Development or simply Alternate Development where communities use
technology to find alternate solutions to their problems than
traditional development solutions.

I am also of the notion that during the next five years ICT4D will be
categorized as e-Development Aid in order to better characterize ICT
Production and Consumption models. In terms of this influence of
western countries over ODA for ICT4D, I would like to emphasize that
solutions to communities social and economic problems do not lie in
pumping unlimited aid money into those communities but facilitating
those communities to find solutions to their needs and problems. Where
the community has buyin or generated the demand, ICT4D adoption is
quicker and more productive though evidence has to be gathered around
this for more acceptable results.

Just to see how western ODA deals with ICT Production and Consumption
areas, the following documents are good read:
http://www.mehdimajidi.com/Files.

--

Regards.