From: tutorment...@earthlink.net <tutorment...@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [DDN] The future of DDN
To: digitaldivide@digitaldivide.net, digitaldivide@digitaldivide.net
Date: Friday, 27 March, 2009, 10:39 PM

I think the point that "people are now working and networking on different
platforms" is one we should all give much attention to.  I don't think
there needs to be a "central DDN" web site. Rather, I think that any of us
who care about a networked DDN community, ought to do what we can to
connect interested members with each other.

Here's what I mean by that.

I host a web links library at http://tinyurl.com/dy6ghp

If you scroll the page of links, you'll see that I break these into
categories, such as home work help, tutoring/mentoring, philanthropy, etc.
You'll see that I have one section focused on "blogs" written by people who
write about education, philanthropy, volunteerism, tutoring/mentoring, etc.

In another section I host links to technology networks, including a link to
the DDN network.

Thus, I'm pointing anyone who comes to my site to others who I link to.  By
pointing to DDN and related sites, I help people in the DDN connect to each
other.

My mission is that non profits use technology strategically to help
tutor/mentor programs grow in high poverty areas, and that these programs
help kids and volunteers stay connected for many years. Thus, most of the
links on my web site are not DDN, or technology specific.

Others may have a much more focused interest on DDN issues, thus, I would
expect their site to have a much richer library of links to such sites,
than I do.

Thus, we can have a DDN community if enough DDN people create libraries on
their own web sites pointing to the places where they and other DDN members
can connect and share ideas.  If some of these places are fantastic, such
as http://www.classroom20.com/, then many of us will gather at the same
place to share our ideas and that place will become the new "DDN home".

Dan Bassill
President
Cabrini Connections
Tutor/Mentor Connection