Chris wrote:

>New Orleans has for some time been the subject of extensive GIS research
>because of it precarious position below sea level. The availability of this
>technology has, I feel certain, prevented or alleviated numerous problems
>created by the hurricane.

I'm not sure what you mean in this last sentence... do you mean 'could
have'? And I would like to know what problems could have been alleviated
with GIS in this regard... Since New Orleans was built, everyone knew
there would be a problem - thus the flow of drainage from the river to
the lake (which is non-intuitive). Nothing was really done... more
technology to study the problem doesn't really guarantee that something
could be done.

Now, using technology to assure that something is done is something I
agree with hands down.

>I am interested in discovering similar, existing
>applications for GIS in poorer parts of the world. I would also like to find
>discussion/research of _potential_ uses, especially, again, in the context
>of poverty.

I beat this to death after the tsunami, as did others, and some of it
was in the ARC project which we threw together. Trying to get things
done is where I am focusing my efforts these days... If someone can
guarantee that something will get pushed bureaucracy at this point, I'll
help. If Moses had this amount of bureaucracy, he and his people would
still be in Egypt.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: Georgetown, Guyana