Hello good people,

I am beginning research into ways in which mapping technologies like GIS (1)
are being used (and can potentially be used) to help avert or cope with
humanitarian disasters.

The tragedy of New Orleans has given me some insight into the potential and
limitations for this use of geospatial technologies. Thanks to Andy Carvin
for applying his blogging/networking skills to this problem and prompting
this line of thinking. Recent discussion of geocoded pictures has also been
stimulating.

GIS is a sophisticated, robust technology that is being used to map and
analyze data in numerous fields, especially environmental studies and public
health. One of the most compelling features of GIS research is that it takes
advantage of the contemporary wealth of data that is collected by all kinds
of environmental monitors. (eg: weather is monitored constantly, and
existing datasets can be mapped geospatially to discover, for example,
patterns in flooding or to predict the best time to plant crops.)

New Orleans has for some time been the subject of extensive GIS research
because of it precarious position below sea level. The availability of this
technology has, I feel certain, prevented or alleviated numerous problems
created by the hurricane. I am interested in discovering similar, existing
applications for GIS in poorer parts of the world. I would also like to find
discussion/research of _potential_ uses, especially, again, in the context
of poverty.

The center for New Orleans GIS research is at Louisiana State University;
they have an excellent website(2) that distributes their GIS data. I doubt
that there is any much more sophisticated model of GIS research. What
fascinates me is that, although I am new to GIS, it appears that there is a
strong "open source sensibility" about their work -- the information is
provided free and intended for extended use. How can this be expanded and
reproduced?

Thanks for any leads in this subject,

Chris Blow
http://www.pictr.org