Andy Carvin wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> I'm honestly not sure if Slashdot is the community we should be
> targeting. Frankly, I find a lot of the "conversation" that takes
> place on Slashdot as shrill and rude. It's a huge website, sure, but I
> don't care for some of the interpretations of "community" that seem to
> arise from the nasty arguments that take place there.
>
> ac

Slashdot is not known as a 'tolerant' community - and that's no
reflection on the people involved, though I do have my opinions on
Slashdot itself which are not relevant to this discussion. I've had
email discussions with CommanderTaco, and I've physically met a few
people who belong to the group of websites which Slashdot is one of.
They aren't bad people, but it would be dishonest to say that they don't
profit from overexuberant techies who aren't known for being tolerant.
Because Slashdot *is* a business, they have a market segment - which
they admit is U.S.-centric:

http://slashdot.org/faq/editorial.shtml#ed850

U.S.-centric isn't bad, but it certainly does leave out the majority of
the world. Sure, everyone around the world can read what is being posted
on Slashdot (if the story is accepted), but the stories are U.S.
centric, and they are U.S. centric to the point of neglecting stories
that are worthwhile from around the world. I know, I've submitted
stories from 'unimportant countries', and have email discussions in my
archives from CommanderTaco to prove it. :-) Slashdot is what it is, and
serves a purpose for centralizing less than friendly two-sided
monologues (mistakenly called discussion) so that it happens less
elsewhere. :-)

Then, there's the 'Omelette' concept
(http://slashdot.org/faq/editorial.shtml#ed900 ), which I am familiar
with as a former editor for Linux Gazette. The front page, or the
stories for a day, are mainly picked for businesses to assure a 'good
mix' for... increasing traffic. Standard business procedure, really, and
nothing wrong with it. But good stories also slip by because of this -
and will continue to. Slashdot has a great 'Omelette' for it's target
audience.

As Phil points out, Slashdot gets about 18 million unique visitors. But
the demographics of these unique visitors are worth investigating. Who
reads Slashdot? Think about that by viewing the omelette, and as Andy
points out - the comments. What's the 'Omelette' for the Digital Divide?
I think DigitalDivide.net provides a better 'Omelette' for Digital
Divide issues than anywhere else, though at times even it seems
skewed... but the skew is self-correcting, *unlike* Slashdot. Slashdot
isn't a community publication, it's a publication for the community. Big
difference. DigitalDivide.net is more of a community publication.

As an interesting sidenote, check out http://barrapunto.com/ for a
Spanish site sort of like Slashdot.

Projection of Slashdot.org that expect 50-100 million visitors per
month... I don't believe it; I know how much traffic they have gotten in
the past through discussions with Robin Miller (who I keep bumping into
around the globe). Such projections are not conservative, IMHO. ;-)

Getting a site - especially an NGO site - Slashdotted (commonly referred
to as '/.') can also be a problem because it costs money in web hosting
to sustain a Slashdot link. Doc Searls has a similar effect when he
posts links from his weblog; it becomes more of a problem for people
working within the Digital Divide because they don't usually make money
off of website traffic - oddly enough, too much website traffic can be a
liability for some sites. Money isn't gained from that sort of traffic.

Global Voices (http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/globalvoices/ ) is worth
paying attention to, though I am on the verge of being a vocal critic of
it as well because it seems like there is an 'Omelette' with Global Voices.

In the end, if you have a story that you think is worth being
Slashdotted, go for it. But remember the audience of Slashdot is more
oriented to U.S. only news, in English alone, and for the technical
'haves'. And also remember that the Omelette works against the majority
of stories, and limits visibility to what the editors think is worth
being visible *for* *Slashdot*.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: Georgetown, Guyana