I wasn't going to get into this one, but will offer that I've stopped using
"Third World" for some time. It's a legacy term, if you will, and it's not
surprising that it is still in circulation (and it's better than some other
legacy terms in the field, like "underdeveloped"). I understand its origins -
at least in part - were half a century ago in the so-called non-aligned
movement of countries professing allegience to neither the West or the Eastern
bloc. Since "third" can also define a ranking, and the countries in the "third
world" were generally among those with lower living standards, it was easy to
make the association. Hence in the 70s the emergence of the term "fourth world"
and so on.

As for "developing," I'm not so comfortable with that either. Although the
intent is clear, there is also a real sense in which we all are "developing,"
though obviously some are materially richer or poorer, and some countries have
more elaborate and productive infrastructures than others, etc.

All terms seem to have their strong and weak points, but the lesson I get from
this is that maybe it is a good thing not to rely on such labels too much.
Choose words and terms to fit the context, choose well and make the definitions
clear. What that means in terms of inconvenience of not having a ready category
to put whole countries under, perhaps more than compensates in obliging us to
keep analysis appropriate, sharp, and adaptable.

Don Osborn
Bisharat.net