Deborah Elizabeth Finn wrote:
On 3/27/06, Andy Carvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Taran Rampersad recently posted a message to his blog,
www.knowprose.com, about the fact that he's recently been added to
Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taran_Rampersad

Dear Andy,

Very cool!  And I love that photo of Taran.

How does one get to be immortalized with a Wikipedia entry?  There was
one of me for a day or two, but then it was fastracked for deletion. :-( Otherwise, I would have wanted to be in the "digital divide
activists" category.

That's a really good question. I noticed on Taran's talk page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Taran_Rampersad) that there had been a debate as to whether his entry should remain on the site, and it hinged on whether Taran had been quoted or discussed by mainstream media. Since he'd be interviewed by the BBC and had taken a leadership role in several important online projects, the proposal to delete him got retracted.

As for why yours got cut and his didn't, I'd be interested in knowing what yours said. Also, I hope you didn't create the entry yourself - self-created entries tend to get deleted as "vanity articles" very quickly.

I hunted around the website to see what policies existed regarding this issue, and I found this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_of_vanity_articles

Among the reasons so-called vanity articles get deleted:

"An article about a real person that does not assert that person's importance or significance - people such as college professors or actors may be individually important in society; people such as students and bakers are not, or at least not for the reason of being a student or baker."

Of course, "importance" and "significance" are highly subjective. I'm guessing that when the wikipedia entry about you was created, someone came along and didn't see the importance of your work and proposed the entry should be deleted. If no one then came to argue in support of keeping your entry, it would be deleted quickly.

Personally, I think you should be in there since you've done so much significant work in the nonprofit tech field. The key thing would be for someone to create a first draft that states quite clearly what makes you and your work important and significant. And I imagine it would help to be able to include links to media sources where you've been quoted, acknowledged, etc. And there should be more digital divide activists who are actings as wikipedians, too, since we know best who's done what, and what activities are deemed important to the movement.

For whatever reason, Wikipedia seems to lack entries for a lot of people who've been instrumental in digital divide-related efforts. For example, I don't see an entry for Larry Irving, who as head of the NTIA during the Clinton administration almost singlehandedly raised the digital divide to a policy issue of national importance. It might be an interesting brainstorm to come up with a list of people who are leaders in the field that should be included.

andy

Andy Carvin
acarvin (at) edc . org
andycarvin (at) yahoo . com