There was a study done a couple of years ago I believe by the ARRL that showed
accuracy of relaying by SSB was not nearly what it should be, CW (if I
remember correctly) was better but still not good. I don't remember FM being
nvolved in the test.

If I can find the study somewhere I'll post a reference.

The biggest problem on SSB is voice quality. A 2.4khz to 2.8khz bandwidth just
doesn't give enough intelligibility to actually tell the difference between
some sounds (e.g. f and s). The receiving operator tends to "fill in" with
what ever his/her brain provides. So a message of "how many will fit in the
Astrodome?" gets turned into "how many will sit in the Astrodome?". Not good.

The truly sad part is that the ARRL did not take the next step and actually
come up with any proposals to help accuracy. It should be noted that this
accuracy is a problem on tactical nets as well as logistical or H/W nets.
Instead they started the push to email - which in my estimation was a
mistake.

Anyway, non-ARQ modes tend to provide the same mistakes that SSB does. You can
have an error creep in that isn't noticed and totally change the meaning of
the message. If you are sending binary files, it is even worse.

ARQ modes are much, much better but everyone needs to understand that they are
NOT, absolutely NOT, 100% accurate. I have seen messages delivered by Pactor
I get garbled. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Bottom line? Use the best accuracy you can. ARQ modes are the best for
accuracy.

The biggest problem you'll find is that ARQ session oriented modes are
conducive to net operations. FEC modes, on the other hand, are. It might be a
good operating procedure to run a data net like this simlar to a CW net. Send
the people with traffic off frequency to use an ARQ mode for passing the
messages. Use an FEC mode on the net frequency to coordinate
checkins/checkouts. Quick switching between modes would be a primary
attribute in such a net.

Some things to think about I guess.

tim ab0wr