> Flavio Padovani wrote
> Read VERY CAREFULLY and do not misinterpret the regulations.
> Amateur radio is a hobby.
> For me, when this becomes and emergency service, that will
> be the end.
> KP4AWX Flavio Padovani

Sorry to break the news to you, Flavio.
I hope you will reconsider ending it all over such a trivial issue...

In USA, we hams operate in the Amateur Radio Service under FCC rules.
The ARS rules are silent on the issue of "hobby", but the ARS rules do
include emergency operation in many paragraphs.

Some might even go so far as to say that the "ham radio hobby" is a
lifestyle. The fact that many hams participate in the ARS as a
hobby is a personal choice... the "hobby" is only a choice people
might make for themselves. But your perceived right to pursue your
"hobby" is not the official reason for the ARS to exist in USA.

Some very interesting parts of the rules are aspects of what the
FCC calls "the radio art", and it is pertinent for enthusiasts in
digital communications:

" �97.1 (c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service
through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the
communications and technical phases of the art."

Bonnie KQ6XA