jgorman01 wrote:

>  I have done the same thing to calibrate my vfo's. But remember, when
>  you are right on frequency, there is nothing to indicate that there
>  is another signal there. And, I'll be honest, I've never seen my
>  s-meter add the two signals together which would indicate that the
>  powers are being added in the receiver. I have had to reduce the vfo
>  signal to keep it from overriding WWV which is kind of my point. In
>  fact, I just did this using my RF generator. WWV at 5 Mhz is about 10
>  over S9. The generator is at about S5 with no antenna connected and
>  the lead just resting on top of the transceiver. When I switch the
>  generator on, the S-meter moves not a bit. You would expect it to
>  jump considerably if the RF signals were being added together.
>
>  Jim WA0LYK

With such a large ratio (34 dB based on 6 dB per S unit) you won't be
able to PERCEIVE anything. But theory, nevertheless, applies.

S meters are logarithmic indicators, precisely because they have a too
wide ratio of signal strenghts to display, say, ideally 94 dB from S0 to
S9+ 40 dB, a  2511886431 (two and a half billon times) power ratio
Being practical, it is really hard to discern a 1/100th movement on the
needle, a 40 dB ratio, being the S meter movement (a D'Arsonval  coil
or a mimic of it) a linear responding, VOLTAGE sensitive device.

 To really perceive  something, the  power ratios have to be
 much smaller. A logarithmic indicator COMPRESSES the differences.
A linear indicator would show a larger response, but would have a much
smaller dynamic range.

Also,  it depends on the S meter dynamics. With a fast attack, slow release
AGC loop you will not see any pumping, as the syllabic period of speech on
SSB is longer, and the peak holding AGC dynamics will hide any low
frequency beats. It takes an old style, AM AGC loop to see any pumping, and
a rather small small signals ratio (almost equal signals) to show it.

Finally, Dr. McGwier gave a reply on something about the radio
characteristics,
advancing that future SDR designs should somehow be able to combat BPL QRM.

State of the art, conventional radios are nothing else than a more or less
expensive black box in the digital communications chain. Of course, it
has to
have some minimum performance specs, or the chain will break. SDR's should
bring some new tricks to our boxes, as they are the only ones really
capable to
do so, while performing at least equally to hardware defined boxes.

Jose, CO2JA

XIII Convención Científica de Ingeniería y Arquitectura
28/noviembre al 1/diciembre de 2006
Cujae, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/convencion

<*> Your email settings: