The FCC rules provide the following definitions for fax:

    Image. Facsimile and television emissions having designators with
    A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol; 1, 2 or 3 as the second
    symbol; C or F as the third symbol; and emissions having B as the
    first symbol; 7, 8 or 9 as the second symbol; W as the third symbol.

    Facsimile. A form of telegraphy for the transmission of fixed images,
    with or without half-tones, with a view to their reproduction in a
    permanent form. (RR)

    Telegraphy. A form of telecommunication in which the transmitted
    information is intended to be recorded on arrival as a graphic
    document; the transmitted information may sometimes be presented
    in an alternative form or may be stored for subsequent use. (CS)

Since it can be transmitted in either analog or digital form with almost
any kind of modulation and there are no encoding restrictions, a fax
seems to be any printable document -- even if it isn't printed immediately.

73,

John
KD6OZH