Peter G. Viscarola wrote:

>  Forgive a relative newbie if this is a dumb question:

For me...not at alll....

>  My QTH is East Cost USA (about 50 miles north of Boston). I've been
>  working PSK31 (and other digital modes) a few hours a day for about 4
>  months now. I haven't once even HEARD a station in Asia or Oceania.

Mine is in the same time zome....just twentysome degrees south of you.

Neither have I.

>  I've had pretty good luck into Europe, and I have QSOs as far south
>  as southern Africa (Namibia, Zambia, etc). And of course in good
>  throughout the US, into the caribbean, and down into central and
>  (parts of) South America.

Me too....as far east as Madagascar, Saudi Arabia, southern Russia...

>  Am I simply listening at the wrong time, or in the wrong place to
>  find Asia/Oceania? Am I doing something else wrong? Or is my setup
>  here (TS-2K barefoot and a dipole at 60 feet) simply too humble to
>  allow my signal to make the 6700 mile journey from Boston to Tokyo?

Possibly it is too humble....and there is a catch....there is too much
activity on SSB on 7070,
and a chinese over the horizon radar on the lower edge of the band.

As I read in QST many years ago : You've gotta hear'em to work'em....

And it is very hard for them to hear across the largest body of water on
Earth with so much CRUD.
At least, that's what I rememberthat VK2QQ told me a few days ago.

>  I'd appreciate a little elmering from the list on this topic...

I will try to run VOACAP later and see what happens from Havana to Hong
Kong on 7 MHz...

I need fresh solar data...will look for it and throw some numbers at
that path. Hope some time of day
will show an open path.

>  TIA,
>
>  de Peter K1PGV