And I think that Rick, KN6KB, was being modest about the 80% detection.
I did not find that the software would ever transmit on what I, as a
human, would have considered a busy frequency. However, there were times
that it did not want to transmit because of what it perceived as a busy
frequency, but I would have.

The one thing that may have to be improved is the ability for the
software to ignore a continuous carrier caused by a local internal or
external birdie as it is extremely sensitive to the slightest carrier,
even ones you can barely see on the screen. Even fleeting carriers. It
seems to me that if you can detect SSB, then you can pretty much detect
most modulation.

The software had the ability to be adjusted by the operator for the
level of detected signal by "x" dB using an on screen slider.

I hope others will suggest to Paul Rinaldo, when they submit their
recommendations for an HF digital mode, (or maybe an addendum?), that
this software is already invented and ideally should be used, rather
than having to reinvent it. Rick seems like a very reasonable person to
me and not quite as much into the politics of the Winlink 2000 systems
as the main owner/administrator. And remember that that ARRL may be able
to provide some input into this considering that they so strongly
supported Winlink 2000 with a "stacked" committee that insured a
particular outcome in the decision making to support this kind of activity.

Based upon the overall attitudes one gets from the Winlink 2000
administrator and his supporters, I would expect that the last thing
they would want is to have a competitive system, that builds upon other
systems, such as PSKmail, and incorporates some of the SCAMP software
components, run at a moderate to high speed, and do it on the MS OS
(Microsoft Operating System) platform. And yet, that has to be what will
eventually evolve if we are able to set up truly robust and
decentralized systems wherever we want them and need them and not be
under the control of a central group.