It sounds to me that a confidence level like that simply means it "knows"
what signal mode it is hearing.  Personally, it would appear to me that the
question is ":Is there another signal of ANY kind on the frequency?"  If
there is, it should NOT attempt to use the frequency, unless it is the SAME
mode it itself is using, and then, only if it recognizes it is being
called - or the other end is CQing, should it then attempt a contact.

It would be nice to be able to tell what mode is operating on a frequency,
and have our own software switch to that mode.  If I remember correctly,
LanLink had similar capability back in the 80s, and was available for some
TNCs, including the MFJ 1278b.  But, this is not the primary reason, as I
now see it, for the auto digital modes to need to insure that other signals
are not on a frequency, before transmitting.  ANY activity on a frequency
should  prohibit the auto modes from transmitting unless they recognize it
is a signal for them, and that would apparently be an easier programming
step, than having them recognize all the other modes.

Danny Douglas N7DC
ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB all
DX 2-6 years each