Bruce,

You have to understand that John and his group have (had?), very
different agendas than most hams, and that includes digitally oriented
hams.  Hopefully, he is one of the few U.S. hams who publicly recommend
deliberately and knowingly violating Part 97 rules.

It seems to me that the most reasonable thing to do, when you do not
agree with the current rules, is to petition the FCC to have the rules
changed.

But you may expect a significant backlash if your requests are too
extreme. John's group also recommended to the ARRL Board of Directors that:

"If bandwidth limits are required above 148 MHz, we recommend a 200 kHz
limit up to 225 MHz, 10 MHz limit up to 1300 MHz .... a 45 MHz limit up
to 5,925 ... and no limit above 10,000 MHz.

http://www.conmicro.cx/~jmaynard/arrlhsmm.pdf

Needless to say, this may be part of the reason that the HSMM Working
Group was dissolved by the ARRL board. They also supported encryption on
amateur radio frequencies above 50 MHz.

http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/projects/wireless/hsmm.html

I don't feel that I am being unfair to say that these are things that
the overwhelming majority of hams would strongly oppose here in the U.S.