From: list email filter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: Report of the ARRL Ad Hoc HF Digital
Committee Dissenting
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:15:01 -0700

I don't believe anyone with the power to change the system is 'working
on the problem'.  The honest fact is that they believe the HF portion of
the Winlink 2000 PMBO would cease to function if they implemented
frequency in use signal detection, and a process to avoid the hidden
transmitter issue.  The sad fact is that they are probably right, there
is enough bad will against the system amongst the ham community, that if
'they' did implement automatic signal detection and a qrm avoidance
process, they probably would experience a drastic reduction in
throughput.  Of course if the system had been well behaved and less
proprietary all along, the current animosity probably wouldn't have ever
existed.

Both the frequency in use signal detection issue and the hidden
transmitter issues have already been solved, at the tax payers expense.
   Those who claim the problem is 'difficult' or 'unsolvable', either
don't understand the problem, are intentionally misrepresenting the
complexity of resolving it, or are just repeating what they've been
told.  Very elegant solutions are already available either in open
source, or via the freedom of information act.  This is a problem that
was solved decades ago by radio astronomers, who resolved it in real
time with computers which were dinosaurs compared with the modern
junkers many of us have lining the walls of our garages.

The real issue, is that 1) the "average" ham, and the "well above
average bureaucrat" don't understand the problem, and 2) those who could
'fix' it believe that doing so would cripple their system to the point
of making it totally unusable, in short their only incentive is to "not"
fix it.

I think the American ham community would actually jump at the
'opportunity' to be regulated by bandwidth, if they could also get rid
of the misbehaving (semi)automated systems.  The real block to progress,
is that the wardens of Bonnie's Technology Jail, haven't or won't
resolve the qrm problem to pave the way for bandwidth regulation change.
   Most of the resistance to the bandplan by bandwidth proposal(s), is in
fact opposition to the continuation and proliferation of a 'bad' system,
and not opposition to bandwidth based band plans at all.

73,

Erik
N7HMS