Bill Vodall WA7NWP wrote:

> > There was no detection available when the rules were implemented
> > (1995?). That is the reason for the automatic areas. It was
> > primarily intended for fully automatic stations, such as the
> > Winlink system (perhaps the is still true for the NTS/D system
> > which continues to use the old Winlink software), and for AX.25
> > store and forward.
>
>  There was "detection".. The automatic areas were set up for "packet"
>  and that's always had carrier sense or even audio presence detection.
>  It was the same automatic vs manual station issue then. The whole
>  idea was if you swim with the sharks (operate within the automatic
>  stations segment) then don't whine when you get a toe bit off.

The packet automatic area was confined to a small, disused part of the
bands under an STA, and was always understood to be a temporary thing
for experimental purposes.  It did not mean that we were supposed to be
stuck, in perpetuity, with commercial modes like Pactor Winlink that do
not listen before transmitting as a matter of policy.

We are about to get a LOT more ordinary hams on the bands due to the
demise of the CW testing requirements.  This will mean more digital
keyboard operators, as evidenced by the very large number of /AG and /AE
stations that have been showing up on the bands during the past month.
In turn, this will mean the need for more bandwidth for amateur radio
operators, as opposed to Winlink users, whoever they are. Winlink and
other automatic modes should look outside of the amateur service for its
frequency needs.

de Roger W6VZV