There is a fairly significant difference between PSKmail and
Winlink2000. Assuming that an individual even supports the concept of
internet connections via radio, it would be nearly impossible to
substitute one system for the other and have a similar outcome.

PSKmail: ultra narrow bandwidth (with current protocol), low
interference potential to other stations. Only runs on Linux OS which
95% of hams in the U.S. do not use or have any current interest in using
so can never become popular here, but other areas may be better. Very
slow transmission rate impractical for long messages. Servers can be set
up by anyone and at any location. Basically free or very low cost system.

Winlink2000: has potential for relatively fast  transmission rates (for
radio link speeds) on both HF and VHF, but with extremely wide bandwidth
modes.  Practical system for casual users who travel, due to centralized
system, making it possible to retrieve messages through different
connections. HF Servers very limited in location and location decided by
the controllers of the system. Extremely expensive to set up.

Both systems use the internet for most of the pathway. Winlink 2000
tends to be more fragile due to the many different server configurations
that it must work through, but makes it more convenient because it
doesn't matter which server you use.

There would have to be a MS OS system developed in order to compete with
the existing Winlink 2000 system here in the U.S. Also, the system would
have to use a much faster protocol than PSKmail to be practical.

In practical terms, it seems that Winlink 2000 is ideal for the
traveling ham who wants a commercial access point to the internet for
casual e-mail and that it doesn't matter which access point is used, the
addressee still gets the mail .

A MS OS, higher speed version of PSKmail would likely work better for a
direct link into the internet from a user who is at a fixed location or
not moving too much, and can access the same server each time. It could
be via VHF, but more likely it would be more successful using HF if the
distance is very far. In my area, that might be 20 miles or so:(