Guys:

I have found that *MANY*, but not all,  so-called Wide signals on PSK
modes are caused by several things being overlooked at the *RECEIVE* end
of the QSO.  If adjusted properly, most newer radios should handle
50-100W signals providing of course that the transmitted signal is
indeed clean to start with.

There are indeed plenty of  "bad signals on the air, but just running
higher  powers, or big antennas is not the cause by itself.

Try to:

Turn of AGC if possible, use RF gain to adjust signals.  This will allow
your receiver to have greater dynamic range.
Use a Notch filter if available.
Turn off the preamp, switch  in the attenuator, especially on bands
below about 30M.
If the above doesn't work,  try a better sound card.  When strong
signals are encountered, this is where the more inexpensive models start
to "fold up".
Why is that folks will spend many thousands on a fine rig, only to use a
$15 sound card?
In Digital modes, the sound card is an integral part of the RX chain.

Please realize that distortion can occur in either the TX or the *RX* of
any signal. Many hams don't realize that this basic fact about analog
signals. Typically, in many cases, the cause of a wide appearing signal
is in the transmitter. I get wide reports frequently.  However, I
monitor my output with a spectrum analyzer, and have done on the air
tests to confirm that my signal is not running worse than  -20 IMD,
often much better than that.  In fact it usually runs better than -25
DB.  I run the SDR-1000 software defined radio at 5W (well below the
100W rating),  a D-44 professional  sound card, and an Ameritron
ALS-500M amplifier (rated at 600W out) to get 50 -100W out.  This is
much more power than most PSK signals, so my signal tends to be much
stronger, especially on bands where I use my 55' high beams.  You  drop
any signal down, either by reducing he RF gain, or putting in some
attenuation, or even a notch filter is you have that capability.  This
distortion occurs most often as you might expect in low end sound cards,
like those installed on mother boards etc.

 I don't wish to start any wars,  just want you to understand some of
the other possible causes of these stronger signals.

Sorry guys, I don't see why any operator should apologize for having a
strong, but clean signal.

Brian K7RE