Erik:

   Thanks for the well-thought out reply, you make excellent points.
Comments below....

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, list email filter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >

> Absolutely agree here, I know I can put out a terrible signal with my
> IC-703 at 2 watts into an MP-1, I can also put out a perfect signal with
> the same setup, and work stations 1,000's of miles away.
>
> > Try to:
> >
> > Turn of AGC if possible, use RF gain to adjust signals.  This will
allow
> > your receiver to have greater dynamic range.
> > Use a Notch filter if available.
> > Turn off the preamp, switch  in the attenuator, especially on bands
> > below about 30M.
>
> Absolutely agree, this is the part that really should be in a faq or
> wiki.  I'm not real keen on the attenuator bit, but then that could just
> be my experience with the attenuators in my rigs, I find that I get
> better printing if I let the computer audio software handle this, but
> then it could be my rigs.
>
> > If the above doesn't work,  try a better sound card.  When strong
> > signals are encountered, this is where the more inexpensive models
start
> > to "fold up".
> > Why is that folks will spend many thousands on a fine rig, only to
use a
> > $15 sound card?
> > In Digital modes, the sound card is an integral part of the RX chain.
> >

> Sorry, this is where I really have to take issue.  I can see why you
> think so reading a little ahead into your post.  About the only amateur
> radio application that the generic modern sound card is not up to the
> task of handling is SDR.  This is especially true when working with
> modern up to date software.  About the only deficiency inherent in the
> common hardware is the problem of receive and transmit audio not being
> precisely aligned with each other.  I honestly can't think of a modern
> version of any digital mode software that doesn't have an alignment or
> sound card setup functionality that either manually or automatically
> takes care of this deficiency for the operator.  It is however very
> important that you go through the alignment process if your software of
> choice doesn't do it for you.  If your software can't adjust for this,
> upgrade your software.  The base software requirement for digital mode
> operation is a nominal sample rate of 11025 samples per sec.  It's all
> the current software can take advantage of, and unless you are using a
> sound card as part of a sdr receiver, any fancier or more advanced
> features are just not taken advantage of by any of the software we use.
>   That said, there are always some exceptions, certain old laptops and
> motherboard built-ins do have problems, strictly speaking, these issues
> are a matter of integration into the motherboard and the OS, not an
> issue with the base audio hardware's capabilities.
>
> The bottom line, is that unless you are planning to run an sdr receiver,
> any modern < $20.00 add-on sound card that is supported by your
> operating system of choice will do a fine job.

I probably didn't quite go into enough detail on this point.
Certainly reading the recent QST article that compared various popular
sound cards shoes that there is indeed not much difference as far as
sensitivity and other parameters. I think though from the standpoints
of dynamic range and overload,  the so-called "professional" cards
fare somewhat better.   However all things considered, money is much
better spent in the RF RX side. I must note that since switching to
the SDR-1000/Delta 66 route, about 6 months ago,  I have NEVER seen a
signal overload the system to the point that I couldn't deal with it
easily.  It is extremely rare that I have to switch in any additional
filtering narrower the 5 KHz. waterfall for a truly clean signal.  Of
course, having said that,  band conditions have been dismal, not many
strong signals to deal with.

I still must maintain that any clean signal, unless truly super
strong, should be able to be dealt with in about any modern receiver,
IF adjusted properly.

> [...]
> modification of operating procedure is in order.
>
> The honest fact, is that the FCC agrees with me on this.  The following
> are quotes from a recent enforcement action inquiry, where a station has
> a complaint against it for:
>
> '...extremely poor signal quality and "splattering" apparently cause by
> improper adjustments or a defective gain control and unnecessary use of
> a power amplifier...'
>
> in his notice to this particular station, W. Riley Hollingsworth quotes
> the following:
>
> '...Section 97.313 of the Commission's rules, 47 C.F.R. S 97.313,
> requires Amateur stations to use the minimum power necessary to carry
> out the desired communications.'
>
> and
>
> '...Section 97.307 of the Commission's rules, 47 C.F.R. S 97.307, states
> that no Amateur station shall occupy more bandwidth than necessary for
> the information rate and emission type being transmitted, in accordance
> with good amateur practice.'
>
> I don't know how any of us would choose to read the above, but I
> seriously doubt a reasonable and knowledgeable amateur such as yourself
> would read the above and not take issue that a station (with a
> phenomenal antenna system) is using "the minimum power necessary to
> carry out the desired communications", when they are running 400 watts,
> and everyone else is running 40 or less.  It's pretty hard to say
> they're operating "in accordance with good amateur practice", isn't it?
>   I know I certainly wouldn't risk my operating privileges, equipment
> forfeiture, and fines, just to be able to swing a big stick when one
> isn't needed.
>
> I find it interesting that one of the things no one has done so far, is
> question "Why don't you need as much power for psk31 as you would for a
> ssb voice qso under the same conditions?"  Folks, the answer to this is
> not magic, it's simple physics and mathematics.  The key is the power
> density over the bandwidth of the signal.  Your psk signal is only 31 Hz
> wide, and disregarding system losses due to hardware, feedline, and
> antenna efficiency, 100% of your 20 watts of power on ssb is put into
> that 31 Hz of bandwidth.  Even at 20 watts, thats a lot of punch (psk31
> really is a mode with a built-in software linear), your same 100 watt
> barefoot transceiver is doing a phenomenal job (and your compressor is
> probably set a little too high to comfortably listen to) if it manages
> to get 70 watts out during your voice peaks, and that 70 watts is spread
> across the entire 2kHz bandwidth of your signal on voice.  Bluntly, when
> comparing signal power density; under the same propagation conditions;
> full barefoot power on voice ssb, is a whisper, and 20 watts on psk31 is
> a SHOUT.  Taking the comparison one step further, 400 watts out on psk31
> is a rather obscene tantrum.  If you were to attempt the same power
> density on voice ssb, you would need to be putting out several times the

Yes, lot's of room for wide interpretation here. In a regular rag chew
type of QSO, one should ALWAYS reduce power to a reasonable level.  I
do that here actually. Problem is in a contest situation, QSO's don't
last long enough to make the change easily.  One guy who is relatively
local may require only 1W, a DX station that calls immediately after
may require 50W or even 100W to complete a QSO.

Two stations running 50W may be able to make a QSO, while at 10W they
would not know that each other even exists. In these times of dismal
band propagation, every DB counts in a contest environment.

Of course I realize that maybe 1 in 100 contesters would ever take the
time and effort to adjust their power. That's really too bad, but a
fact of life.

Most contests have a QRP, low and high power category. In almost all
cases, more points or multipliers are awarded for running lower power.
In this way operators are  rewarded.

I have been a QRP addict for many years, and enjoyed running QRP in
various contests. I will probably return to that operation more
frequently when the sun spots return.

I had an APLINK gateway station in the late 80's and early 90's. I
came up with a simple circuit that reduced the TX power automatically
based on the errors indicated on the LED of the PK-232 controller that
I was using at the time. It worked very well and gave amazing
indications at just how very low power, 5W and below, that would be
required to maintain a link.

Of course since PSK modes are not ARQ types, this idea would not be
all applicable for the PSK modes

I think that some good compromises could be made though.  If each
operator would be mindful of band conditions, and the type of
operating that they are doing at the moment, they should be able to
adjust power to some extent, probably not each for QSO though in a
typical contest operation.

Being unable to control or even effectively enforce the power rule,
probably the only alternative, realistically, is to optimize, and
learn how to deal with the stronger signals. Of course if a truly
dirty signal, and there are many, are encountered, one should not
hesitate to point them out to the operator.

As Fess Parker, who played Davy Crockett in the 50's used to say:
"Be sure that you are right, and then go ahead."  ;)

> > Brian K7RE
> >

> BTW, Brian, you live in a very beautiful place, I used to have family in
> Spearfish, last time I was there I was passing through on my way to
> Sturgis, back in '77 or '78.  Does the water still freeze from the
> bottom up?
HI!   I never really checked, but we still hold the world all time
record for the fastest temperature changes ever officially recorded. ;)

Again, thanks for the very FB comments, Erik

Brian K7RE