When you say ICOM digital voice modes, are you referring to the D-Star
system developed by JARA? This is a "sort of" open system, although it
is not quite as open as some of us initially thought. The vocoder uses
the proprietary AMBE  product so that does complicate things. Also it
does not seem to have the most open documentation.

Some hams have started some preliminary work on a more open standard but
not much has come of it as yet that you can see on the web. There is a
beginning opendstar.org that has a few files posted. D-Star is only
possible on the VHF and  higher bands since it is much too wide for HF
use. Even then, it suffers from low quality audio compared to current
analog technology when signals are good. The main attribute is that you
can trade off audio quality for narrower bandwidth.

The current AOR approach to DV is proprietary and I don't see how it can
succeed as anything other than a minor niche product. It is very costly
at about the price of a low end HF rig and is not compatible with the
freely available DV computer sound card modes which work about as well.
Its main attribute is that you can use it for mobile use without a
computer. The problem with any HF DV is that it really is not very
practical as it requires very good signals to work adequately and
amateur radio often is challenged with weak signals.