  From: Steve
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2007 15:02 UTC
  Subject: [digitalradio] Re: A Beginner's Look at Ham Radio's Digital Future
with Jeff Reinhart, AA6JR

  --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  <snip>
  > Where he is on target is the need to develop standards. If each digital
  > protocol can not communicate with other similar digital modes, then it
  > will be hard not to have separate islands of activity.
  >
  > I appreciated his comment that during emergencies, simple works best.

  I agree, standards are big issue. No one wants to buy a new expensive
  radio, to only see it not compatible with another manufactures
  competing product.

  D-Star fortunately seems to have this, at least an open protocol. I
  do with there was more user end flexibility with selection of codec's
  and such. That would allow easier integration, even more so if the
  codec and bitrate, was able to be established dynamically.

  I guess my beef is they didn't allow much user end room for
  experimentation. I don't just want to press the PTT and talk, I'd
  like to be able see what else I can do with it. But short of major
  surgery and some PIC knowledge for most that will never happen.