After the contact, I switched over to ALE 141A and listened for quite
some time in unproto mode. Later on I heard an eastern station calling
the HFN, which must be the HFLink Network. This can not be an automatic
station as it was outside the automatic subband. I am not suggesting
that it was the eastern station since I could not monitor ALE while in
Olivia mode.

This frequency turns out to be Channel 21, which is one of the 40 HF
"channels" that is claimed by the HFLink group.

It is still possible for the first operator to hear a mode being used on
a given frequency and then when the second operator turns it over to the
third operator, and  the first operator can not hear the third operator,
they may incorrectly assume that the frequency is not in use. This is
one of the fairly downsides to having many digital modes that can not
understand the content of most other modes (except for CW and voice).
Even having an identifier would not help if they do not realize that the
two stations are having a QSO.