I'm not sure soundings can be classified as beacons.  The rule states
"or other related experimental activities" which indicates that
beacons have an experimental purpose, not one used for negotiating a
two way conversation.  In other words, you can't have a two-way
conversation with a beacon.

The pertinent rule is probably

97.111(b)(2) Brief transmissions necessary to establishing two-way
communications with other stations;

This allows one-way transmissions in the attempt to "call" another
station, i.e. be the instigator of a two-way transmission.  CQ is
simply a way to call "anyone listening" for an immediate two-way
transmission.

A sounding is NOT calling another station.  So one could question
whether it is legitimate.

However, the way the rule is written, I'm not sure announcing your
presence at a given frequency would be disallowed either!

Jim
WA0LYK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When ALE is is used for selcal purposes, Part 97 allows this incidental
> use of tones, at least in the voice/image portions of the bands. I have
> not heard anyone comment negatively about that.
>
> As I had brought up earlier, it is when ALE is begin used for
> "soundings" or what is really beaconing. At this time beaconing is
> ilegal when a station is operated automatically. The ALE proponents
have
> been rather clear about claiming that the soundings are needed
> specifically for propagation purposes. There is no need to know that
> they station is there to talk to. Compare this to the Aplink and
Winlink
> systems of the past and the current Winlink 2000 system of today. Those
> stations were standing by on a series of frequencies in case they were
> interrogated by a human operator (or in some cases in the past were
over
> the air machine to machine transmissions which is no longer done). They
> were following Part 97 rules.
>
> Clearly, before sounding operations can legally be done in automatic
> operation, the Part 97 rules need to be changed.
>
> A control operator who continues to send CQ when they are not at the
> control point, nor are operating under auxiliary modes, who also be in
> violation of the rules as you so noted.
>
> If you only wait 5 seconds before transmitting on a frequency (there
are
> no channels in amateur radio except on 60 meters where ALE and digital
> modes are prohibited), you would not be waiting long enough to know if
> the frequency is available for your use. It may be occupied. If there
> were two stations in ARQ operation, and the ARQ was frequent enough,
you
> would be able to hear at least one side of the circuit. However,
> asynchronous ARQ modes such as FAE and longer ARQ times may not be
> detected within 5 seconds.
>
> Waiting only 5 seconds on any new frequency that you are just
monitoring
> before transmitting would be considered by most reasonable hams to be
> exceptionally poor operating procedure at what most would consider a
> true lid level.
>
> 73,
>
> Rick, KV9U
>

> Robert Thompson wrote:
> > A couple of minor comments:
> >
> > 97.3(a)(9)/ Beacon/. An amateur station transmitting
communications for