Part of the problem is that there is a misunderstanding about who
should operate where.  In the US at least, the frequencies shown for
automated wideband operation are NOT "reserved" or "allocated" for
this purpose.  These are the frequencies automated stations using
wideband signals are "restricted" to.  There are no corresponding
restrictions that prevent any amateur from using these frequencies for
any other purpose allowed.

Consequently, the hiking trails and highways are exactly the same.
There is no difference.  Automated wideband signals however, are
restricted to certain trails/highways but are expected to observe
rules such that no one, whether on foot or in a vehicle, gets run
over!  To imply that pedestrians should not use the trails/highways
where vehicles are allowed also implies that the rules no longer apply
to the vehicles!  And this is where the number of pedestrians
outnumber the vehicles by 10 to 1.

One of the rules of the highway/trail is that automated stations,
whether attended or unattended, have a responsibility to not create
harmful interference.  Harmful interference does not need to be
willful or malicious.  In other words, an unattended automatically
controlled station can create harmful interference.  The FCC has
issued numerous enforcement letters to repeater operators that they
can no longer operate their repeaters while unattended by a control
operator.  The same thing can happen to automatic stations.

Jim
WA0LYK