I concur with many of Howard's suggestions. Here are some of the
criteria that I think will insure success of a new emergency
communications mode, not in any special order:

1. Open source so that many can help with developing and even tweaking
the program. We have seen how successful major programs such as Firefox
browser, Thunderbird e-mail, Open Office suite can be built with open
source, and anything we do in amateur radio can as well.

2. Modularized design so that the interface to the operator can be
changed without affecting the modes used on the RF connection. Protocols
can then be "bolted on" and changed as technology advances without a
loss of the programming effort that occurs with many other amateur radio
software.

3. For the short term (the next 5 to 10 years) it must operate on MS
Windows OS since that is what the great majority of us use for ham
radio. Cross platform is to be encouraged.

4. Insure that the "server" that connects to the internet can be set up
on an ad hoc basis and can be placed where needed. We never know where
the emergency situation will be and how widespread, but having the
capability to quickly position internet access points to reach a
disaster area is a killer ap that is not available with any other HF
systems.

As a comparison, Winlink2000 servers (PMBO) are strictly controlled and
programmed by the central administrator and are not possible to set up
and configure by individual hams. A new paradigm should return control
to the amateur community and away from a centralized failure point.
Recent comments suggest that the HFLink system will not have ad hoc
quick installation, but we don't have the information to fully
understand how this will be done. Perhaps the HFLink developers will
fill us in on their vision.

5. For any automatic station, busy frequency detection is a must,
however during emergency situations, you will often have human operators
at both ends insuring that the frequency is being monitored.

6. As narrow bandwidths as possible. E-mail is not used for extreme time
value traffic as is tactical communications that has paramount
requirements for an immediate contact and immediate acknowledgement.

Other thoughts?