I updated my comments to the FCC to change the second to last paragraph:

"RM-11392 attempts to address problems of interference between narrow
and wide bandwidth text and data communition modes on amateur
bands, but the proposed rule changes will create more problems than
they solve. Historicly, communication in the amateur radio service
was either narrow-band (100-500Hz) text or wideband (2-7 kHz) voice
and each fequency band was partitioned into 2 segments. These were
originally for cw and phone, but now are rtty/data and phone/image.

With the arrival of digital modulation techniques text, images and
voice may be transmitted alternately or simultaneously using the
same modulation method and with various occupied bandwidths. The
best solution for the future and the one that minimizes regulatory
burdens on both users and the FCC is to redefine these band
segments as being for narrow-band and wide-band emissions
regardless of content (voice, image, text or data).

In my view, the optimal maximum bandwidths for frequencies below 29
MHz are 800 Hz at for the narrow-band segments (usally the lower
frequencies in each band) and 8 kHz for the wide-band segments
(usually the higher frequencies in each band). 800 Hz allows for CW,
RTTY, PSK31, MFSK16 and other modes used for keyboard-to-keyboard
comunication and slow-speed image commnication and file transfer. 8
kHz is consistant with limits in other countries (when they exist at
all), allows existing AM stations to continue to operate and allows
simultaneous voice/text/image communiation using analog or digital
modulation.

A small area (10-20 kHz) for automated stations must also be
established in the wide-band segments of HF bands to allow for
PACTOR-3 and similar protcols used for message forwarding as they
are invaluable during emergencies where the normal communications
infrastructure is compromised.

If the rule changes are to extend beyond 29 MHz, narrow-band
segments on the VHF and UHF bands should allow a maximum bandwidth
of 8 kHz. This provides protection for weak-signal enthusiasts.
Wide-band segments should allow 200 kHz maximum bandwith between
29 and 225 MHz. This allows for existing terrestrial FM voice and
medium-speed data stations and the prior and existing 50-200 kHz
wide FDM transmitters in orbit for the amateur satellite service.
Any bandwidth limits above 420 MHz must be 25 MHz or greater to
accomodate existing stations using IEEE 802.xx data transmission
and AM and FM TV. In my opinion, no bandwidth limits are required
above 420 MHz as long as emissions stay within the designated
bands for the amateur radio service.

The rules changes outlined above should solve problems more
effectivly than those currently in RM-11392 and decrease
regulatory burdens in the future."

This makes the VHF/UHF narrow-band segments good for SSB and AM but not FM
which is more in-line with what the WSWSS would want. Users of the weak-signal
segments of VHF and UHF bands mainly want protection from FM repeaters. I also
realized that AMSAT linear transponders are wide-band devices.

73,

John
KD6OZH

  I would almost agree except for the 8 kHz wideband mode. That can easily
  be 6 kHz and accommodate AM as used in HF communications. A wider
  bandwidth just opens the door to more problems. I will file my comments
  based on yours except I will suggest a maximum of 6 kilohertz.

  John B. Stephensen wrote:
  > An ALE network and WinLink are both useful. My comments to the FCC were:
  >
  > "RM-11392 attempts to address problems of interference between narrow
  > and wide bandwidth text and data communition modes on amateur
  > bands, but the proposed rule changes will create more problems than
  > they solve. Historicly, communication in the amateur radio service
  > was either narrow-band (100-500Hz) text or wideband (2-7 kHz) voice
  > and each fequency band was partitioned into 2 segments. These were
  > originally for cw and phone, but now are rtty/data and phone/image.
  >
  > With the arrival of digital modulation techniques text, images and
  > voice may be transmitted alternately or simultaneously using the
  > same modulation method and with various occupied bandwidths. The
  > best solution for the future and the one that minimizes regulatory
  > burdens on both users and the FCC is to redefine these band
  > segments as being for narrow-band and wide-band emissions
  > regardless of content (voice, image, text or data).
  >
  > In my view, the optimal maximum bandwidths for frequencies below 29
  > MHz are 800 Hz at for the narrow-band segments (usually the lower
  > frequencies in each band) and 8 kHz for the wide-band segments
  > (usually the higher frequencies in each band). 800 Hz allows for CW,
  > RTTY, PSK31, MFSK16 and other modes used for keyboard-to-keyboard
  > comunication and slow-speed image communication and file transfer. 8
  > kHz is consistant with limits in other countries (when they exist at
  > all), allows existing AM stations to continue to operate and allows
  > simultaneous voice/text/image communiation using analog or digital
  > modulation.
  >
  > A small area (10-20 kHz) for automated stations must also be
  > established in the wide-band segments of HF bands to allow for
  > PACTOR-3 and similar protcols used for message forwaring as they
  > are invaluable during emergencies where the normal communications
  > infrastructure is compromised.
  >
  > If the rule changes are to extend beyond 29 MHz, maximum bandwidths
  > of 20 kHz should be adopted between 29 and 29.7 MHz and 200 kHz
  > between 50 and 225 MHz for the old phone/image segments. This allows
  > for exsting FM voice and medium-speed data stations in the 10, 6, 2,
  > and 1.25 meter bands. Any bandwidth limits above 420 MHz must be
  > 25 MHz or greater to accomodate existing stations using IEEE 802
  > data trasmission and AM and FM TV. In my opinion, no bandwidth
  > limits are required above 420 MHz as long as emissions stay within
  > the designated bands for the amateur radio service.
  >
  > The rules changes outlined above should solve several problems and
  > decrease regulatory burdens in the future."
  >
  > 73,
  >
  > John
  > KD6OZH

Kill Digital Radio?)