I do have a valid extra class license. There are lots of hams who use CW and
SSB on the VHF bands and want protection from FM repeaters and other wide-band
signals. The bottom 300 kHz of each VHF band should be protected. I was a
member of WSWSS and the San Bernardino Microwave Society and partcipated in
most 10 meter, VHF, UHF and microwave contests between 1993 and 2001.

There should also be spectrum for wide-band modes. I used amateur satellites
which had 50 kHz wide HF downlinks and 200 kHz wide VHF and UHF downlinks.
There should also a be a place for wideband terrestrial modes. For some reason
there is a 20 kHz bandwidth limit on the HF bands for data but not voice or
image transmission. Bandwidth limits should be the same regardless of content
as anyone with a computer can mix voice, data and images indiscriminantly.
There is certainly space on the 6 meter band for wideband data that exists in
the band plans. If you look at the spectrum allocated to repeaters on a spectum
analyzer, there is even more space if we had more intelligent methods of
spectrum allocation and sharing.

The spectrum between 50 and 450 MHz is useful because path losses are low and
omnidirectional antennas allow mobile operation and the operation of nets over
wide areas. The 20 kHz bandwdth limit on VHF data transmission is antiquated
and if you can radiate a 9 MHz wide ATV signal on the 70cm band the same
bandwidth should also be available for data.

73,

John
KD6OZH