Larry,

I have a 756 Pro 2, which should be identical to the Pro 3, and on all
the diagrams for interfacing, the 746 series should also be the same. I
know that the 746 has the ACC1. I only use the ACC1 on my Pro 3 by
connecting to the audio in, audio out, and PTT.

I don't know the command structure of the 746, but if it does not have a
"D" mode to turn off the mike when operating in digital modes, from
recent comments, doesn't the 746 series have the same 6 pin mini DIN as
the IC-7000?

My understanding is that the circuit is designed to mute the microphone
if the PTT is activated. I suspect that some of the more expensive
interface units use the 8 pin DIN in order to get operating voltage from
pin 7 which is NOT available on the 6 pin mini DIN.

But you won't need this, if you are using interfaces such as the Unified
Microsystems SCI-6 (gets enough from the serial keying line to trigger
the optoisolator) or the Tigertronics SignalinkUSB (gets it from the USB
side of the connection).

Bonnie's suggestion of modifying the microphone is another solution. I
kept thinking about any pitfalls in doing that and realized later that
her solution will disable VOX operation. This is likely why the
manufacturers don't have it as a default. However, I doubt that many of
us would need VOX with a handmike. That would be a nice feature to
include in software control.

W2ZEY wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I use PSK on a 756 Pro 3, and if I remember correctly the back panel
> of the 746 is more or less the same. I assume you are using ACC 1,
> correct? What are you using for a sound card interface to the computer?
>
> I could be mistaken but my understanding is that if the interface is
> configured correctly for ACC 1, the mike should not pick up audio. For
> example, I use the SL-USB with the 756 via ACC 1 and the mike is muted
> – no audio pick up whatsoever. Let me know what your set up is.
>
> 73 Larry / W2ZEY

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: