Hi Dave,

Many transceivers have automatic
muting of the microphone whenever the rear
panel accessory jack PTT is in use...
and they do not require external switching
or modification.

However, some Icom transceivers and other
brands do not have internal muting of the
microphone muting when the rear panel
audio/PTT is enabled.

A simple modification of the Icom HM-36 microphone
results in the muting of the microphone
whenever the microphone's PTT button is
not being pushed. It enables the computer
to interface via the transceiver's
rear panel data accessory jack, without
ambient audio entering via the hot microphone
during computer audio transmissions.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE MOD:
http://hflink.com/icom/microphone/hm36/

This mod provides an easy viable solution
that does not require modification of the
transceiver itself.

The principles used in this modification
may be applied to other brands of transceivers
and microphones.

73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA