When was the last time you talked to a teenage ham on HF digital?

If you are a ham in a Western country, more than 35 or 40 years old,
it is likely that you are last of the generations of active hams in
your country.

Look around, there are very few new young hams.

Right now, I'm seeing a rapid increase in active hams in China...
possibly the only country in the world where this is happening...
mostly due to the recent relaxing of chinese Amateur Radio regulations
and the huge number of people in high tech professions. Because most
hams in China are not influenced by the english-speaking world of ham
nay-sayers, the new wave of young Chinese hams have a vibrant
experimental attitude, a good grasp of new technology, and they are
active on the air.

If hams in The West are to attract new young ham operators (or even
maintain the existing hams younger than 30 years old), we need to
start by changing the public attitude a lot of the older hams have
toward those who are adopting new digital technologies.

Will we graduate beyond PSK31 and keyboarding before this generation
dies off? Or will we stagnate, to the point of oblivion, a footnote in
history?

Will Amateur Radio lose its spectrum simply by default, due to
inevitable inactivity after this generation is gone? I'm already
seeing it happening... the ham bands are being taken over by non-hams
in many parts of the world. The "pirates" or "government stations"
simply get on and use the band without any concern... there are more
and more of them every day. We have broadcasters and jammers on 20
meters now (real high power AM shortwave broadcasters).

All of 40 meters (including 7000-7100 kHz) and 80 meters has been
taken over in most of Asia, Africa, and South America. They wouldn't
be there if hams were actively occupying the frequencies already.

Yet, regular activity on the ham bands is on the decrease. I've
watched this happening over the 40 years I've been a ham. Sure, we
have a few flurries of contest activity on the weekends (when the HF
pirates are inactive). But, the sustained activity we once had, even
10 or 15 years ago is gone. And, it is not just due to the solar
minimum :)

Young people simply do not stick around places where they see the
status quo putting down creativity, innovation, and actively
discouraging new technology.

QRZ.com and eham.net are flagship examples of this bad ham attitude on
the web. Many young people get their first impressions of ham radio
via the web, yes... even groups such as digitalradio and other
yahoogroups... and hams posting videos on youtube. Stop and think for
a second: What have you done on the web recently to encourage new
operators?

Recently, ARRL started an outreach program via a Blog on the web, to
encourage young people interested in ham radio. It is called "We Do
That" and it has the right attitude. It enthusiastically covers a lot
of new technology and creative innovation.
Click here:
http://wedothatradio.wordpress.com/page/2/

73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

.