  From: Andrew O'Brien
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:08 PM
  Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: Olivia mode comparisons, testers needed.

  So does this mean that Patrick has IMPROVED on Pawel's design and the "true"
implementation within DM780 is not as effective, or is DM780 slower but better
at decoding ?

  Andy

  On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Patrick Lindecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    Hello Votjech,

    >I believe the difference between Patrick's MultiPSK and Pawel's
    >original Olivia code is in the way how the sync time is adjusted after
    >the initial sync is reached. Partick's code locks in time and only
    Yes it is as you described (you are perspicacious!). The symbol
synchronization is done as in MFSK16, or other mode with a non-linearity and a
PLL to follow slight variations.

    However, I use the complete Pawel strategy for RS ID.

    > synchronization and for decoding very weak signal, additionaly
    > introduced 1 second lag in case of Olivia1000/32 is annoying.

    I don't think there is some issue for weak signal.
    I tried here comparing Mixw, Multipsk and OliviaAid with a very noisy
transmission: the decodings are more or less equivalent.

    The results are the following (with a signal at -13 dB of S/N Gaussian
which is the limit for Olivia 32-1000 decoding):
    * OliviaAid: 120 characters decoded,
    * Mixw: 164 characters decoded,
    * Multipsk: 208 characters decoded.

    However, I tested on Gaussian noise, when real conditions could be very
different from a Gaussian noise (QSB was not simulated for example) and so the
results could be different...

    73

    Patrick