  From: Rick W
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, March 27, 2009 13:56 UTC
  Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Easypal in MARS

  Although Easypal is currently the primary digital SSTV program , it also
  can be used to transmit any kind of data. A very experienced digital ham
  took me to task a while back for making this claim since he understood
  it to always compress data with a lossy characteristic and could not be
  used for something that could not tolerate any loss. Of course he did
  not realize that the program provides for both kinds of data.

  The current digital SSTV programs moved hams (almost overnight) from
  RDFT to what must be DRM QAM and seems to be the most successful scheme
  for the minimum speed needed for a reasonable time in transmitting
  images of the size and resolution that has become common.

  In fact, as I was writing this, the SSTV group on 7.173, which is very
  active here in the U.S., was sending a text message in the past minute
  or so, discussing the coming April Fool's computer virus. Ironically,
  they are probably operating illegally since text data is not legal to
  send on the phone/image portions of the bands. But then again maybe it
  can be called a Fax transmission? If that is true though, then why could
  not any other multitone digital mode be considered fax? Why not a two
  tone mode? Why not a single tone mode?

  Andrew O'Brien wrote:
  > -
  >
  >> As an aside, if you really want to see something that is slick, give Easy
  >> Pal a shot for sending text. Also ultra high resolution pictures with no
  >> scan lines that occupy 20KB of data on each end. 90 seconds to send or
  >> receive, with the ability to only request the individual blocks that
weren't
  >> received properly to be sent again. We are also utilizing it in MARS.
  >>
  >> As I said, I am still optimistic,
  >>
  >> David
  >> KD4NUE
  >>

  > David, I am interested to learn of this. Rick , myself , and several others
in this group played around with EasyPal a year or so ago, we also thought it
had interesting uses for file transfers. How it are MARS folks accepting
EasyPal?