Since so few hams need to install servers, perhaps this could be one of
the rare exceptions where some of us might consider actually dedicating
a computer to Linux, for this special application? Most hams here in the
U.S. would likely be accessing the server with a MS Windows based OS as
that becomes available.

If PSKmail became popular, we might need a fair number of servers,
although some could be on standby. If I understand PSKmail correctly, it
is possible to set up ad hoc servers as needed. You do not have the
centralized politics that is done by design with other systems.
Individuals and groups use their independent judgment when and where
placement is made for a server. For example, some servers could be on
standby and be activated for an emergency situation.

You could also use MF and NVIS type operation that is not done much with
other systems although it may require a better protocol than PSK for
consistent results.