From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:digitalra...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Kristoff Bonne
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:52 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Question about mail servers on HF

Hi All,

Russell Blair schreef:
> We'er going out in the RV for about two weeks, and would like to check my
mail on yahoo.com: Question is there nay mail servers on the HF that I can
check into and get my mail, and what program would I need for this to
happen, any help ?

You know. I once saw a TV-documentory on this, and more particular on
communication and life for people living on the small poor islands-nations
of the pacific ocean.

They used some kind of HF-radio based system to sent messages from
"post-offices" located on certain islands to other Islands. I never found
what system they where actually using. All information I found on the net is
either aimed at hams or emergency communications, or for
(rich) owners of yachts.

Does anybody know if these systems are used by "PTT"s in the world?

BTW. According the documantory, the main problem for these island-nations
was not really the technology and equipement, but find a good secure
electricity-system which -by preference- is not dependent on (to be
imported, so very expensive) petroleum.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

--
jabber/gtalk: krist...@krbonne.net