Hi Howard,

During the daytime, 160, 80, and sometimes 40 meters are NVIS capable
depending upon world location, but for sure 40 meters is usually open
for lower angle distances and can be very good. NVIS just means that you
can get the close in stations as well as more distant station, so there
is no skip zone.

Linux has not been very successful here in the U.S. with most ham
computer users. Even the ones who are very techy, such as myself, find
it mediocre as an operating system. Several of my ham friends have tried
it over the years too and abandoned it. A nearby ham, who is very tech
oriented decided a few months ago that he was going to really get into
Linux, until he really tried it and realized it just was not going to
work for him and he is an electronics engineer. That has been the case
with most other hams I know and some of us, myself included, really,
really, wanted to like the OS, even with its shortcomings. But it just
has not been very practical at this point because like so many things in
life, the trade-offs are too great:(